[Owasp-leaders] [Owasp-google-hacking] [GPC] OWASP "Google Hacking" Project - Status - June 2010

dinis cruz dinis.cruz at owasp.org
Sun Jul 4 05:11:01 EDT 2010

Hi Brad and others that have raise concerns about this project (note that
the original email was also sent to the owasp-google-hacking list, so I'm
CCing this to a number of other owasp lists).

First of all , thanks for sharing your concerns about this project and I
want to assure you that we at OWASP Board and Projects Committee are taking
this issue very seriously.

Due to the nature of OWASP and in its spirit of openess we trust that our
project leaders are working hard on their projects and delivering value to
their project's community.

Given the sheer number of OWASP Projects and the fact that we (at OWASPs
Global Projects Committee) have not yet completed the upgrade of all OWASP
Projects into the new Project Assessment Criteria V2.0 (+ new Project Wiki
Template), we have not been able to spend as much time as we should on
reviewing OWASP projects and ensuring that they are: still alive, need
review/help, make sense, etc...

The OWASP Google Hacking project has been on the radar of OWASP's Board and
GPC for a while (with a number of emails going back one year), BUT somehow
(mainly due to lack of time) we never followed it up.

That said now, due to the level of complains that we have received and the
need that we have at OWASP to create a process to deal with this type of
situations, we are going to take a good look at this and find a solution for
it.

A couple days ago, i meet Christian at the HITB conference in Amsterdam and
we spent a couple hours going over the history of this project and what
should happen next.

Here is the status:

   - The OWASP Google Hacking project is going to be marked as 'Inactive'
   (with very clear indication that this is not an active OWASP project), there
   will be no more public presentations about this project, and there is also
   the possibililty that we might delete this project (depending on what
   happens with the Inquiry that I'm going to present below)
   - I have made a number of notes about the history of this project which I
   will document soon
   - In order to address the issues raised, *we are going to run an OWASP
   Inquiry into this issue with the objective to address the issue of '...does
   the OWASP Google Hacking Project deliverables match the expectations that
   the OWASP community have for projects that are presented in the way this
   project was...*" (note that we have already an history at OWASP to run
   'formal' inquiries for issues/concerns raised by our community (see for
   example
   http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Investigation_-_AppSec_Brazil_2009 )
   - Christian has also raised a number of concerns over how several
   Australian Chapters have been run, and that will be addressed by a separate
   OWASP Inquiry lead by the OWASP Chapters Committee.

*Note that we are starting this process from the point of view that
Christian is an inocent party *(i.e. not guilty of the accusations made
until proven so). It is important to note that the *focus of the inquiry
will be on the technical merit of what was created for this project *(and
will stay away from any personallity clashes that might/do exist between
members of the OWASP community). For example, one of the* first steps will
be to create an independent technical analysis of what was delivered, so
that we are able to establish the extent of this project's contribution to
OWASP and the WebAppSec world.*

Once we figure out the operational details of how this OWASP Inquiry (into
the OWASP Google Hacking Project) will work, we will be contacting the OWASP
Community (starting with the one that have raised their concerns) for  'on
the record' comments about this issue. After all data is collected and
analyzed, an independent group of OWASP Leaders will review it and provide
recomendations (just like what happened in the Brazil's
case<http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Investigation_-_AppSec_Brazil_2009>
)

A final point I would like to make, is that from an OWASP Projects point of
view, this is a very important case, since we really need to have better
guidelines on what we technically expect from OWASP Projects and its leaders

Hopefully, we will be able to use this case to further consolidate OWASP's
projects focus, quality and credibility

Dinis Cruz
OWASP Board Member