[Owasp-leaders] 2011 OWASP Membership

dinis cruz dinis.cruz at owasp.org
Mon Dec 13 05:40:39 EST 2010

OWASP leaders, just to clear something on Tom's email below.

The 50 USD paid by OWASP leaders to become an OWASP Member is an optional
item.

Starting from last year (Nov 2008), we gave our OWASP Leaders the title of
'Honorary OWASP Members'  (i.e. their leadership role gave them the
automatic right to be an OWASP Member).

Note that there is a debate going on at the moment if  'Honorary OWASP
Member' is the best name for this (since our leaders now also have a number
of other perks). BUT since 'OWASP Membership' is one of our currently
established models/brands, our leaders automatically are entitled to such
membership status (since they are the ones that create OWASP)

The key concept is that you (OWASP Leader) deserve this as a principle
(regardless if the individual membership cost is 1 USD, 25 USD, 50 USD, 100
USD or 1000 USD).

Now some of us are lucky enough to live in economies where 50 USD is not a
significant amount of money (when compared to what a coffee/lunch cost) and
are happy to pay the 50 USD to become members.

I just want to make sure that you all understand that this is OPTIONAL. The
most valuable gift that you give OWASP is your time, energy,
focus, commitment and values.

If you do chose to pay the 50 USD, you can be sure that we are going to
spend it on you (for example our membership's income is what allows OWASP to
invest at least 50k in the next Summit)

While I'm here, let me say something we don't do enough:

*Thanks for being an OWASP Leader and making this organization an amazing
place to work on Web Application Security solutions*

Dinis Cruz
OWASP Board Member