[Owasp-leaders] Membership Model Discussion On GMC List

dinis cruz dinis.cruz at owasp.org
Sun Dec 12 04:40:56 EST 2010

The important thread starts here:
https://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/global_membership_committee/2010-December/000336.html
but
before you think too much about it make sure you read this follow up
https://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/global_membership_committee/2010-December/000344.html
and
take a look at this table/process
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/GlobalMembershipCommittee_2011_SummitGoals

<https://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/global_membership_committee/2010-December/000344.html>This
is a really important discussion and one that is going to ultimately going
to define 'What is an OWASP Leader'.

One of the finner details at play here are:

   - how OWASP identifies its active/historic leaders?
   - how OWASP acknowledges its leaders? (for example giving them Honorary
   memberships),
   - what are the OWASP leaders benefits? (currently: industry recognition,
   free entrance to OWASP Conferences, free training at OWASP
Conferences (if available),
   Travel expenses to OWASP Summits (if possible), ability to spend OWASP funds
   (at the moment 500 USD with no pre-approval needed and 2500 USD with
   one-week warning), and hopefully more in the future)
   - how does a leader stops being a leader?

This last point is probably one of the most important ones, since we really
need to tackle this issue sooner rather than later.

I recently saw this amazing 'Freedom and Responsibility
Culture' presentation from NetFlix (
http://www.slideshare.net/mobile/reed2001/culture-1798664 ) and some of the
most relevant slides are:

   -  #7 <http://www.slideshare.net/mobile/reed2001/culture-1798664#7> :
   "The real company values, as opposed to the nice-sounding values, are shown
   by who gets rewarded, promoted, or let go"
   - #24 <http://www.slideshare.net/mobile/reed2001/culture-1798664#24> :
   "Great Workplace is Stunning Colleagues"
   - #27 <http://www.slideshare.net/mobile/reed2001/culture-1798664#27> :
   "We're a team not a family , We're like a pro-sports team, not a kid's
   recreational team"
   - #56 <http://www.slideshare.net/mobile/reed2001/culture-1798664#56> :
   "With the right people -> Instead of a Culture of Process Adherence ->
   Culture of Freedom and Responsibiltiy, Innovation and Self-Discipline"

We don't need to adopt the entire NetFlix model to OWASP (we have other
dynamics at play here, including the need to have a healthy organic base
which allows easy engagement and participation), but as OWASP grows we need
to decide if we want OWASP to have more Processes or more Freedom (see the
section 'Freedom and Responsibility' section).

My view, is that one of OWASP's most important goals is to bring its leaders
together (since that is usually how 'magic' happens and our leaders are
ultimately who create value). For example OWASP must do its upmost to bring
its Active and Historical leaders to the Summit 2011 in
Portugal<http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Summit_2011>since that is
where the most important discussion are going to happen and
where strong relationships between leaders will be created/re-enforced (as
we saw with the last 2008
Summit<http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_EU_Summit_2008>
)

In fact, o*ne of the positive side effects of the Summit* is that is
it *forcing
us to tackle important issues at OWASP* such as:

   - 'Who are Active Committee Members' ,
   - 'What should happen with Committee Members that dont participate',
   - 'How/When to remove an Committee member',
   - 'What is an OWASP Leader',
   - 'Who should be sponsored to go to the Summit', etc...

I know that a lot of people would prefer not to tacke these issues now (or
never?), but my view is that they are critical for OWASP's growth and now is
the time to do it. The problems caused by the *'great OWASP model where it
is very easy to become a leader'* (which btw is key to OWASP's culture) are
only going to get worse, and the solution is not to put restrictions on
becoming a leader but in creating rules-of-engagement for evaluating their
performance.

As per Michael's request, please join (even if temporarily) the Membership
Committee mailing list (
https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/global_membership_committee) and
continue the discusion over there.

Dinis Cruz