[Owasp-leaders] developers, Developers, DEVELOPERS!

Alexander Jason (NHS Connecting for Health) jason.alexander at nhs.net
Fri Dec 10 07:02:40 EST 2010

Hi

As part of this I want to put a presentation together that we can present at these developer meetings. Im thinking of an intro to OWASP - who we are, our goals and our core believes with a nice lashing of how OWASP resources can help developers in their day to day work. Now before I start reinventing the wheel does anyone have such a presentation that I could start with??

regards

Jason Alexander
OWASP Leeds/Northern UK chapter leader

To: owasp-leaders at lists.owasp.org

That's my point! I don't think that security is not sexy enough for developers. They just don't know.
Therefore, I think (and that is what I put quite some time in) we  should put some more effort in spreading the OWASP word in developer communities!
On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 10:38 AM, psiinon <psiinon at gmail.com<mailto:psiinon at gmail.com>> wrote:
I'm a bit surprised by the perceived lack of 'sexiness' in security -
my experiences differ from this.
My background is in software development - I've been developing java
webapps for 14 years now.
I talk to a lot of developers and functional testers, and they care
about the products they develop and they know security is important.
They just havnt had any training. And most security websites not
surprisingly deal with hacking or pen testing - these are somehow seen
as 'dangerous' and are often blocked by corporate firewalls.
So pen testing is 'forbidden knowledge', which _is_ sexy ;)
I argue that you cant develop secure apps without knowing how to attack them.
You dont have to be a qualified pen tester, but you need to know
something of what the bad guys will do.
To that end I teach basic pen testing techniques to developers and
functional testers - and that seems to go down very well!
This isnt an alternative to other training, static source code
analysis, professional pen testing etc etc
But I think it makes developers think about their apps in a different way.
Its why I released the Zed Attack Proxy - I wanted a pen test tool
that was simple enough for developers with little security experience
to use.
If they use it when coding then basic vulnerabilities might be picked
up much earlier then they would be otherwise.

Cheers,

Simon

Thank you for your co-operation.

For more information and to find out how you can switch, visit www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail