[Owasp-leaders] Creating OWASP 4.0!

Ralph Durkee rd at rd1.net
Wed Dec 8 21:17:40 EST 2010

I've been thinking about the state of Web App Sec and how it's broken
and what we can do about it. We've made some progress some areas like
sql injection and malicious file execution, but most of the progress has
been in large organizations and regulated industries, while the small
and medium size businesses make up a majority of the market. And while
we've made progress in some areas, we're not keeping up with the rate at
which new web apps, and new web technologies are deployed. So given that
we're not keeping up, coupled with the targeting and attack techniques
continuing to get more sophisticated, I believe the over all risk
picture is worse now then when we started.    That doesn't mean we've
been a failure, I think we've been very successful in many ways, but the
web continues to be less safe, and I think we need a different approach.

Regulation such as PCI has been helpful, but it has been difficult for
it to be effective given that Web App Security isn't very measurable by
the average auditor.  David Rice's presentation which paralleled on the
evolution of regulation was insightful, and I think somewhat fits, with
a couple of exceptions.  The final phase to self-regulation is ideal,
and is not complete and I don't think will ever be complete.  Large
corporations can make a marketing campaign out of being green, and get
dollar value out of it , but that's not going to be cost effective for
the small and medium size businesses, and for some, you will always need
some regulation because it's a cruel world, after all.     However, to
apply effective regulation to the secure web applications industry, it
needs to be measurable like pollution.   I agree that the market will
continue to be "broken" until we can make security measurable and
visible, as Jeff and so many others are always on about.  I think the
security labeling idea from  Jeff's AppSec DC talk, is maybe a little
hokey, and little hard to see how we can make it work, but I don't see
too many other ways forward at this point, for making security visible.
I'd like to see this as a part of OWASP 4.0 discussion.  So what do you
think?

-- Ralph Durkee, CISSP, GSEC, GCIH, GSNA, GCIA, GPEN
GCC, Rochester OWASP