[Owasp-leaders] Creating OWASP 4.0!

Rex Booth rex.booth at owasp.org
Wed Dec 8 17:36:38 EST 2010

I hate to so contrarian with you today James, but chaos doesn't work on a strategic level.  Your positive experience at your chapter doesn't translate to the organization as a whole.

Whether we are a non-profit or not, we need to recognize that we are in a competitive marketplace where we need to struggle for relevancy in order to achieve our mission.  We can't treat this like some sort of free-for-all.

We have numerous dedicated individuals, but I think as an organization we try to be everything to everyone.  In the pursuit of allowing owasp to be anything somebody wants it to be (new conference?  Sure!  New project?  Why not?) we've sacrificed our ability to focus and really make an impact (with some notable exceptions).

I think better coordination of efforts, some culling of the less useful projects and undertakings, and more strategic leadership from the board level would go a long way.

Imagine how much we could accomplish if we eliminated the noise and were able to double our efforts on the truly impactful and high-profile efforts!

Rex