[Owasp-leaders] CISO AppSec Cheat Sheet

Stanka Salamun stanka.salamun at acros.si
Tue Apr 6 08:42:19 EDT 2010

Hello,

To AF: right now there is no public access to the questionaires in Slovene,
but it will be. I need to wait for public presentation on the conference
("Dnevi slovenske informatike") on  14 Apr. and after that the Slovenian
version will be public. But please do not bother with Google translation - I
am working on a "working" version in English (aka pre-pre-alpha) of all the
main titles/questions, but without the comment (which I think could help
explain why it is good to execute some particular activity). And we could
start from here.

To Nam: because our government has a lot of personal, monetary and
healthcare data of the citizens, it was expected that the average sec-app
level will be above 4 ("money" level) - it was actually 4.38. Because of
good legal ground for privacy in EU we found a lot of emphasis in
requirements for logging functionalities. It was also very clear that there
are encryption and authentication & access functionalities required. There
were some disappointments, such as: there were little formal requirements
for including security professionals (having appsec people is Sci-Fi),
nobody here heard about threat model, security profile or attack surface,
nobody is taking care about latest attack trends and vulnerabilities or at
least thinking on separating them from functional bugs, only 1 (!) required
scanning for known vulns, no app-sec phase milestones, no external security
testing.

As all the projects are in development phase right now, they are not ready
to check the correlation for activities and attacks, evaluating potential
(or actual) damage or searching for vulnerabilities. This is what would be
the best to achieve in the version ... hmmm ... 10.0 :)?

To Diniz: please give me a couple of weeks to prepare some material for
potential project. I will be in contact with Paulo about it. I am thinking
to put an English version as a project or extension and leave Slovenian
version as it is. In OWASP we have a lot of material to link from MASS,
which is only a really "short index" of the subject. Also please have in
mind that this is actually the first version of the model that I already
know has some problems of its own - some questions will probably have to be
re-organized or re-weighed, some added and some removed.

Have a nice day,
Stanka