[Owasp-leaders] Chapters Leaders, get into AppSecDC FOR FREE!!!

David Campbell dcampbell at owasp.org
Wed Sep 23 11:55:44 EDT 2009

Wow.  I take my eye of this list for a week or so and it goes supernova.

Per Dinis' request I'm making public some thoughts I shared privately
with him last night on this topic.

I can sympathize with both sides here.

One one hand as a small business owner I pay rather dearly for the time
and effort I put into OWASP as every hour that I'm working on OWASP is
an hour I'm not chargable.  For small biz owners and independent
contractors there is no such thing as holiday or vacation time and while
travel expenses and conference fees are a tax deduction, they are still
an entry in the 'wrong column' from a P&L point of view.

On the other hand as a veteran OWASP event organizer I know what it
feels like to be thousands of dollars in the red in the run-up to the
event and also dealing with a million details to try to ensure the con
goes smoothly.

Is there a capacity issue at OWASP DC which makes it financially
problematic to admit chapter leaders gratis?  Is there a food/catering
issue in play also?  The reason I ask is that as a chapter leader I'm
already going to be out of pocket for travel expenses, accomodation, and
lost revenue attending the con.  Paying to get in may be a dealbreaker
for chapter leaders who are overdrawn on the "emotional bank account"
that is OWASP.

This isn't my conference to run, but I think it would be in the best
interest of the con, and OWASP as a whole, to admit chapter leaders
gratis, *provided that event capacity and catering costs aren't
issues*.  At security cons (Defcon perhaps notwithstanding), the more
the merrier.  And there's nothing like an underattended con (EUsecwest
london this year?) to dampen the mood for everyone.  That said, if
nonpaying chapter leader attendees would be taking spots which would
otherwise be filled by paying attendees, then the decision becomes
purely financial.

DC