[Owasp-leaders] OWASP Home Page Project

AF antonio.fontes at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 08:17:45 EDT 2009

* This discussion is mostly about marketing and PR than anything else
and we need people who are skilled with such instruments (and can
think as such) (there are billions of such guys) and know what we are
talking about (this dramatically reduces the population to ... a few
people). Maybe should we get advice from those people.

My 2 cents about the home page:

* Someone could define our understanding of the application security
world, the needs that may rise from the people involved in it in any
ways. These needs need to be regrouped as 'profiles'. Some people call
this "segmenting (understanding) the market." As an example, we might
have:
- top management
- management
- architects and business analysts
- software designers
- developers
- testers and quality assessors
- incident responders
- teachers
- third-party security services companies
- people who want to contribute to the OWASP
- etc.

* Segmentation may also occur by industry, if the needs really differ:
 - banking
 - industry
 - ISVs
 - security services and products companies
 - etc.

* Someone could chose whether we first answer needs by role, or by
industry, or by whatsoever.

* Someone could define which places we are seating on: which are the
profiles that we currently satisfy or aim at satisfying? What are
these profiles? Where is the list? Some people call this "targeting
the market".

* Someone could define how we show to these profiles we selected that
we have a solution tailored to their needs. This involves browsing
each slot of the above list and inserting the products or services
(typically, our projects) that respond to these needs. Some call this
"positioning the organization into the market."

* Actually, what I see on the home page of the owasp website is the
result of a click on "About Us" on every other organization's page. In
no way does any successful website tells its visitors "who we are" on
the home page. Never. That's however, what we do.

* As a result from this initiative, we could now be able to build a
home page that tells the audience that we are listening. Some call
this a home page that says "Please tell us who you are and we will
tell you what we did for you and how we can help you."

* I think we also need a "First time here? Discover the OWASP!" link.

As I said, just 2 cents :)
Hope it helps.
Antonio

--
this email was sent with an iPhone counterfeit
http://feeds.delicious.com/v2/rss/starbuck3000?count=15