[Owasp-leaders] OWASP Home Page Project

Mike Boberski mike.boberski at cox.net
Tue Sep 22 19:54:46 EDT 2009

I'm surprised no one jumped in on this thread; each is an item in my mind
worth exploring; application security is incredibly hard to sell people on,
such weak/non-existent mandates in this space. The Agile-like idea for
example seems to pop up frequently, I think there is something to it. There
is little arguing how the universe latched onto such a superficially silly
thing with religious-like zeal; I have one customer right now for example
where a development team is hiding behind the Agile Scrum process to the
point of defying their management's (and their management's management's,
and their management's management's management's) direct instruction to
start addressing security concerns.

Some initial thoughts on each of the items:

I think the site could benefit for some high-level buckets near the top,
similar to the recent Aspect Security web site update. Perhaps
protect/detect/lifecycle as on the projects page.

Member companies should go to the top, to the side, for the reasons cited
below. I turned many people during ASVS' development into ASVS reviewers
once they scrolled to the bottom.

There is merit to the manifesto thing as mentioned above, the visible thing
is a starting point but isn't all that it could be; here's a starting point
for discussion: (1)A Web application may not disclose or modify user data
without a data owner's permission or, through inaction, allow unauthorized
disclosure or modification of user data. (2)A Web application must obey any
inputs given to it by users or external systems, except where such orders
would conflict with the First Law. (3)A Web application must protect its own
existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or
Second Law.

I'm not sure the media thing is actionable, other than adding a link to an
OWASP POC to respond to media inquiries.

Mike