[Owasp-leaders] Fortify hands-on demo/session at forthcoming OWASP Northern Virginia Chapter

dinis cruz dinis.cruz at owasp.org
Thu Sep 17 18:47:25 EDT 2009

Just consolidating some of the comments I seen on this list or received
privately.
Here are a couple more items/ideas for the 'rules-of-engagement'
A) On the vendor behavior:

       1) No calls to action
       2) No talk about price or licensing
       3) Allow competitors to join the talk and give counterpoints (like
the full week it takes to get Fortify to run against a large codebase - even
longer for Ounce)
       4) Preferably having someone OTHER than the vendor do the talk may
help.

B) I wouldn't count on every chapter leader to organize such a thing.
Maybe it should be coordinated with the OWASP board? Alternatively,
maybe a chapter
leader should get 5 leaders to say he will do right to proceed?

C) Publish the detailed content in advance, or at least communicate it to
the chapter leader. I actually require every speaker who work for a vendor
to submit the slides before the meeting to inspect them for over
commercialization.

D)  Require specific speakers. It's the speaker who makes the
presentation. Just
having a "company" present, sending an available sales engineer has a huge
potential of being a bummer. If you get an engineer from dev, or at least a
product manager who can shed some light on future directions you are better
off.

E) Ensure 'sender email' usage is consistent: "...My little comment is that
I am wondering why Eric Dalci used his Yahoo email address yesterday to
announce the event on the Secure Code
Mailing List (SC-L) while previously he has used his Cigital email address
on the Virginia chapter mail list (e.g.
https://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/owasp-wash_dc_va/2009-September/000236.html).
Perhaps
splitting hairs but some might perceive it to be sneaky...."

I (Dinis) am pretty sure i've read a variation somewhere of the next three
ideas, but it is getting too late, so here they are they way I remember them
:)

F) all non-vendor participants need to disclose their relationship(s) with
the vendor(s). For example I received the comment today "...Cigital owns
most of Fortify..." , is this true? I don't know! (John might should be able
to clarify this), but the key point is that the audience should know this
information.

Once this information is disclosed, the audience can independently make up
on their minds on how 'independent' the 'independent security consultant'
really is :)     ....   (yes ... on this last independent paragraph I did
made an effort to independently use as many as possible variations of the
word *'independent'*   :) )

G) Don't have a vendor employee participating on the presentations at ALL!!.
Ideally the presenters (& people helping) should be as removed as possible
from the vendor. I think security consultancy companies like Cigital are a
good compromise (as long as they behave :)  (I trust John Steven on this
one)), but it would be great if the people driving this would be the ACTUAL
users of these products (who tend to have a much more pragmatic view of the
value provided by them AND how to work around the limitations of those
projects)

H) do a 'multi-vendor' event where the multiple products are shown in action
with the same target apps (from easy to hard) and test environments (btw,
this is what I (Dinis) tried to do with the London WAF bake-off a couple
years ago) . Note that although this option is the most interesting of them
all, it is the most complicated to execute from a logistically point of view
(and the one that needs to resources from OWASP to organize it properly)

Keep the comments coming, since I think we are almost there :)

Dinis