[Owasp-leaders] OWASP Bylaws

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Thu Sep 17 16:18:55 EDT 2009

The primary rules around non-profit broadcasting and marketing
prohibit any kind of "call to action" to encourage folks to purchase
commercial products. Discussing the price of commercial products is
also taboo in non-profit broadcasting like public radio.

I think these are solid guidelines as we inevitably discuss commercial
tools more within OWASP.

I do a call in public radio computer show on Kauai and (1) always
soften mentioning a commercial product by discussing the free
alternatives and (2) always say "I use or have used" instead of "you
should use..." and (3) keep out of conversations where there is a
glaring conflict of interest.

Number (3) is a key guideline that may serve OWASP policy in the future.

Jim