[Owasp-leaders] OWASP NoVA Chapter

Ofer Shezaf ofer at shezaf.com
Thu Sep 17 13:47:24 EDT 2009

I am sure that candid and open discussion of a product can be done. Such a
discussion would certainly have value, but I yet have to see one that is led
by a vendor and is candid and open. As a vendor employee, you just have to
be one sided and gloss over shortcomings of your product.

Can this be reconciled? Can a vendor provide a good overview of its product?
I tried to think about some measures that might help:

+ I wouldn't count on every chapter leader to organize such a thing. Maybe
it should be coordinated with the OWASP board? Alternatively, maybe a
chapter leader should get 5 leaders to say he will do right to proceed?

+ Publish the detailed content in advance, or at least communicate it to the
chapter leader. I actually require every speaker who work for a vendor to
submit the slides before the meeting to inspect them for over
commercialization.

+ Require specific speakers. It's the speaker who makes the presentation.
Just having a "company" present, sending an available sales engineer has a
huge potential of being a bummer. If you get an engineer from dev, or at
least a product manager who can shed some light on future directions you are
better off.

My personal experience is that *religiously* staying away from product
presentations pays off. If helps differentiate OWASP from other security
organizations and ensures high participants satisfaction with the meetings.
I don't think there is anyone here in Israel who thinks about OWASP in the
terms Yiannis portrays in a parallel thread.

~ Ofer