[Owasp-leaders] Would the real OWASP please stand up!

Brad Causey bradcausey at owasp.org
Thu Sep 17 13:24:42 EDT 2009

This is more directed toward Yiannis,

I do realize that the extra work you are being asked to do seems a bit of a
pain in the ass. You are coder, and therefore you just want to make great
code and it should be enough that you are offering your code to OWASP. How
dare us ask you for anything. I get that.

One of the reasons you are seeing more 'fluff' as of late is that we as an
organization have identified a few weak points in our delivery of said
'great code' or 'great documentation'.

As part of the mission of OWASP, we are trying to further grow the awareness
of application security. Part of that, is helping those folks out there be
aware of these projects and why they are important. JbroFuzz will get used
much more if people know it exists, have a reasonable expectation of its
current quality, and have some idea of what it does. Without these things,
what differentiates us from the 'security' section of sourceforge?

I guess what I am saying is that you are confused about what we expect from
'project leaders', we expect someone to lead a project, from every aspect.
If we wanted coders, you'd be called a coder, and you wouldn't be posting to
the leader's mailing list.

I'm not attacking you, because I do agree to some extent with some of your
statements. We do need some checks and balances on a lot of things. But lets
be real, you've been asked for 3 slides and some 'fluff' work about your
project so we can HELP YOU promote your great code.

If I missed something, please let me know.

-Brad Causey
CISSP, MCSE, C|EH, CIFI, CGSP

http://www.owasp.org
--
Never underestimate the time, expense, and effort an opponent will expend to
break a code. (Robert Morris)