[Owasp-leaders] Mailing list madness

Pravir Chandra chandra at owasp.org
Wed Sep 16 09:48:18 EDT 2009

I also take issue with the notion that there's no reason for people to post
to a list they're not subscribed to (for the same reasons as Rogan). It's a
matter of whether you're building an inclusive or exclusive community around
a given project. For my project, I'm trying to build a user community with
open discussions and any little, tiny barrier-to-entry makes it far more
difficult.
However, I do understand the spam problem. Having moderated the CLASP list
for 2+ years with this problem, yes it's a pain. BUT, if you set the
auto-discard and occasionally check the moderation queue, it's manageable.
I'm not saying this should be the config for every list, but it should be at
the project leader's discretion to change it from a default-discard to a
moderated list.

Not to wander off the subject, by why are we (OWASP) still in the business
of running a mailman instance in this day and age? We've already migrated
all of email to Gmail, so why not migrate our lists to Google Groups (or
some equivalent)? That solves the spam problem, adds a great forums/web
interface and generally "just works". I'll volunteer the SAMM list as the
first guinea pig for that migration since I really want/need the extra
features.

p.