[Owasp-leaders] Federal licensing for "CybersecurityProfessionals"

Tom Brennan - OWASP tomb at owasp.org
Tue Sep 1 08:28:37 EDT 2009

James McGovern worked on the OWASP Certification (
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_Certification_Project)
proposal and at OWASP Summit, Portugal we collectively debated this with
everyone in attendance and it was determined by a majority vote that
certification would not be a direction for OWASP Foundation Inc.,at that
time and did not pass.  At the time we we did not have the people able to be
dedicated to the effort, infrastructure, desire or goals (mission) to do so
however any organization is of course free to use our materials in making a
better mousetrap. So anyone that wants to start there own company for
certification or a existing firm (example: ISC2, SAN, ISCA, ISSA, etc... )
good luck.

Mano Paul and the Global Education Committee have been working various
projects even a online framework and this would of course fall into that
bucket (Education)  I encourage EVERYONE who would like to work on this or
any of the many outlined items to actually get involved and spend some
cycles see:

*http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Global_Education_Committee*  review the
hardwork, get on that mailing list and be involved.

The only guidelines that must be considered considered by ALL local
chapters, projects and global committees and the board are outlined as:  Code
of Ethics and Principles hence: http://www.owasp.org/index.php/About_OWASPFor
those that are not clear the next OWASP SUMMIT will be at the November USA
conference Nov 10th-13th where we will actually have a dedicated full day
for those that are card carrying MEMBERS OF OWASP to cast a vote on some
very important items effecting OWASP.  Details to follow:
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_AppSec_US_2009_-_Washington_DC

So if you are asking how/who effects the direction of OWASP Foundation
globally the answer is:
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Global_Committee_Pages  so get involved
and/or review http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Board_Meetings for
history information.