[Owasp-leaders] Recruiter Spam and your Local OWASP ChapterMailing Lists

Castle, Dale (dc9pc) dc9pc at virginia.edu
Fri Oct 30 09:02:33 EDT 2009

Although I am not likely to have this problem in the Charlottesville, VA area, I agree that if such posting are permitted, it will make it more difficult to get out the word about the OWASP meetings. If the recruiters sponsored food and drink for the meetings, you could mention them in a slide and suggest folks talk with them after the meeting if they are interested.

- Dale

On Oct 29, 2009, at 2:56 PM, Marcin Wielgoszewski wrote:

I want to re-raise this issue to the leaders list as the OWASP Hartford (Connecticut) mailing list is a prime example where recruiters have been allowed to blindly post emails with little relevance.  In addition, some emails were sent with High Priority, which spurred several people to ask the reason for doing so.

See:  https://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/owasp-hartford/2009-October/thread.html

Compare this to the NYNJMetro list, https://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/owasp-nynjmetro/2009-October/thread.html, a chapter very likely to be the largest OWASP chapter in the US, if not the world, yet we are able to moderate and keep our email list free of spam.  I've asked people who are subscribed to the list about what they believe to be appropriate, and the general consensus had always been "if it is not related to the next OWASP meeting, I don't want it".

There is an OWASP Jobs section on the OWASP wiki, where companies are allowed to post open positions and their descriptions at http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Jobs.  I suggest we use it.

Regards,
Marcin

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 9:43 AM, Andrea Cogliati <andrea.cogliati at owasp.org<mailto:andrea.cogliati at owasp.org>> wrote:
On Aug 26, 2009, at 4:35 AM, Christian Heinrich wrote:

> In any event (btw I agree that recruiter's should advertise via the
> Job Board), can OWASP consider creating two mailing lists (i.e.
> announcement which is moderated and discussion which is not
> moderated) per chapter?

Christian, we already have that setup here at the Rochester, NY
chapter: owasp.org/rochester<http://owasp.org/rochester>

You can do the same: ask for forgiveness, not for permission.

Andrea