[Owasp-leaders] Recruiter Spam and your Local OWASP ChapterMailing Lists

Marcin Wielgoszewski marcin at owasp.org
Thu Oct 29 14:56:10 EDT 2009

I want to re-raise this issue to the leaders list as the OWASP Hartford
(Connecticut) mailing list is a prime example where recruiters have been
allowed to blindly post emails with little relevance.  In addition, some
emails were sent with High Priority, which spurred several people to ask the
reason for doing so.

See:
https://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/owasp-hartford/2009-October/thread.html

Compare this to the NYNJMetro list,
https://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/owasp-nynjmetro/2009-October/thread.html,
a chapter very likely to be the largest OWASP chapter in the US, if not the
world, yet we are able to moderate and keep our email list free of spam.
I've asked people who are subscribed to the list about what they believe to
be appropriate, and the general consensus had always been "if it is not
related to the next OWASP meeting, I don't want it".

There is an OWASP Jobs section on the OWASP wiki, where companies are
allowed to post open positions and their descriptions at
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Jobs.  I suggest we use it.

Regards,
Marcin