[Owasp-leaders] Email Security Research Initial Results

Pete Perfetti peter.perfetti at owasp.org
Wed Oct 21 16:13:40 EDT 2009

Howdy Josh,

Thanks for sending this info out.  I am very interested in finding out more
about what you have learned. My partner and I are currently working an
incident response engagement and have put some countermeasures in place to
protect against some email threats. The attackers have changed tactics and
we have adapted accordingly, but some your research may be helpful to us, as
some of our countermeasures may help you or others.

Several of the attacks involve email forgery with imbedded URLs, some of
those spoofed as well, in an attempt to entice targeted users to follow the
link. Once the user clicks the link, the computer is infected and the breach
is in progress. We implemented some countermeasures to this attack that
help, but do not entirely solve the problem.

Perhaps we can help each other out. Please feel free to call or email me if
you'd like to share more info.

--

Pete Perfetti

Chapter Leader

NY/NJ Metro OWASP

peter.perfetti at owasp.org

Josh at packetfocus.com

1.877.PKT.FOCUS

1.205.994.6573

Fax: (877) 218-4030

www.packetfocus.com <http://www.packetfocus.com/>

President Alabama OWASP Chapter www.owasp.org <http://www.owasp.org/>

Selected for "Top 5 Coolest hacks of 2007" Dark Reading/ Forbes.com

www.linkedin.com/in/packetfocus