[Owasp-leaders] Question on Regex

Ofer Shezaf ofer at shezaf.com
Thu Oct 15 01:48:15 EDT 2009

RegEx denial of service attacks are prevalent, serious an often overlooked.
Alex Roichman from Checkmarx revisited the subject in a recent very
interesting presentation at OWASP Israel 2009. While not new to anyone who
read the classic "Mastering regular expressions", Alex went well beyond just
summarizing the known research on the subject.

One pretty disturbing finding he made was the OWASP Validation Regex
Repository
(http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Validation_Regex_Repository) included
RegExps vulnerable to DoS. Being attacked in a public conference, my
response was that this finding emphasizes the openness of OWASP, and as the
project was an orphan, he is more than welcome to take it over, correct and
enhance. I suspect that many protection solutions, whether external ) to the
code (read WAFs or built into the code (read input validation frameworks)
are vulnerable.

You can find the presentation here:
http://www.owasp.org/images/f/f1/OWASP_IL_2009_ReDoS.ppt

~ Ofer

Ofer Shezaf [shezaf at xiom.com, +972-54-4431119]

Xiom.com, The WAF info center, http://www.xiom.com

Founder, OWASP Israel

Leader, WASC Web Hacking Incidents Database Project

--
Eoin Keary CISSP CISA
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Ireland_AppSec_2009_Conference

OWASP Code Review Guide Lead Author
OWASP Ireland Chapter Lead
OWASP Global Committee Member (Industry)

http://asg.ie/
https://twitter.com/EoinKeary