[Owasp-leaders] OWASP Summit 11/11/2009

Rex Booth, OWASP rex.booth at owasp.org
Mon Oct 5 08:26:06 EDT 2009

(forgive the long reply...)

Related to the vote for the new Board member, I'd like to recommend
three changes related to the OWASP Board and structure:

1) All Board members must be approved by popular vote for 2-year terms
(no term limits).
2) The Board adopts a role more focused on strategic leadership and
oversight.
3) OWASP establishes a select set of positions within OWASP in order to
provide operational leadership (a COO, CIO, etc).  These individuals are
appointed by and serve at the pleasure of the Board.

I make these recommendations for the following reasons:

1) While the existing Board has done an exemplary job of growing and
developing the organization, we have numerous passionate and capable
leaders within OWASP who would like to continue to rise within the
organization.  The establishment of the GCC was a fantastic first step
to this end, but the ultimate goal for many is to serve on the Board.
The organization obviously cannot simply create sufficient additional
Board positions to accommodate this need - the existing positions need
to be available for rotation.

2) Applying popular vote to the Board positions may help increase the
geographic diversity of the Board which does not currently fully
represent the international nature of the organization.

3) While the current approach of the Board as a group of equals has
worked well thus far, the past few years have seen growth within OWASP
that requires an additional level of maturity and focus in order to
continue fulfilling and expanding the mission of OWASP.  Because of the
increasing complexity of the organization, the standard operational
functions (authorizing payments to vendors, approving project
sponsorship, etc) compete for the same valuable time and attention of
the Board as the requirements of strategic leadership.  Establishing
positions within the organization with the authorization of the Board to
take tactical action on it's behalf would 1) free the Board to focus on
strategic issues, 2) introduce efficiencies for such operational,
task-level activities and 3) provide additional positions of leadership
for OWASP members that go beyond the thought leadership positions
afforded by the GCC.

I'm certainly open to suggestions on how to improve this suggested
approach. However, as a growing and maturing organization, I think we
should adopt and adapt to some of the common structures and practices
that have benefited other similar organizations - structures and
practices that I feel can improve the way we fulfill our mission.

Thanks,
Rex