[Owasp-leaders] Team OWASP on Kiva

Gunnar Peterson gunnar at arctecgroup.net
Wed Nov 25 00:52:11 EST 2009

Kiva is transparent and efficient in this regard as the author points
out

"I hasten to temper this criticism. What Kiva does behind the scenes
is what it should do. Imagine if Kiva actually worked the way people
think it does. Phong Mut approaches a MAXIMA loan officer and clears
all the approval hurdles, making the case that she has a good plan for
the loan, has good references, etc. The MAXIMA officer says, “I think
you deserve a loan, and MAXIMA has the capital to make it. But instead
of giving you one, I’m going to take your picture, write down your
story, get it translated and posted on an American web site, and then
we’ll see over the next month whether the Americans think you should
get a loan. Check back with me from time to time.” That would be
inefficient, which is to say, immorally wasteful of charitable
dollars. And it would be demeaning for Phong Mut. So instead MAXIMA
took her picture and story, gave her the loan, and then uploaded the
information to Kiva. MAXIMA will lend the money it gets from Kiva to
someone else, who may never appear on kiva.org."

Always listen to the person on the ground.

-gunnar