[Owasp-leaders] Towards Orizon 2.0 monthly update - p1 November 2009

John Wilander john.wilander at owasp.org
Sat Nov 21 06:50:31 EST 2009

Hi Paolo and all the other leaders!

[Leaders: There's a general question for you further down.]

It took until the weekend before I could get back to you on this.

2009/11/18 Paolo Perego <thesp0nge at owasp.org>

> As you probably may know, next June 2010 during the Owasp AppSec EU in
> Stockholm we will release Orizon 2.0.

This is of course great since I'm the chair of that conf :).

> To increase collaboration I will publish a slideshow every month
> describing where we start, where are we going and what have we dan
> since last month.

I looked at the slides and I understand that you need help on the project.
Coding help.

My plan is to make AppSec Research 2010 a truly great conference and than
redirect my OWASP work towards the Conference Committee and at least one
tool project. Right now I'm considering:

   - Orizon (I've done research in static analysis before, for
instance "Pattern
   Matching Security Properties of Code using Dependence
Graphs"<http://www.ida.liu.se/~johwi/research_publications/paper_cobassa2005_wilander_fak.pdf>
   )
   - JBroFuzz (just because it's a nice tool I'd like to work with Yiannis)

So why do I email these personal thoughts to all leaders? Well ...

[To all leaders]
It seems a lot of our projects are one man shows. This might be fine but I
hear project leaders asking why they should be part of OWASP if they're on
their own anyway. Dinis' recent email about O2 is one call for help that
comes to my mind.

I've made some small efforts to promote tool projects to my chapter members
but somehow it doesn't work. Why? Any innovative ideas out there?

   Regards, John