[Owasp-leaders] Thank you voters!

John Steven John.Steven at owasp.org
Thu Nov 19 15:42:14 EST 2009

You know guys,

this IS a big milestone. Congratulations to both Matt and Eoin, I
really liked your platforms. As my blog said, I liked all the
candidates actually. More generally, I'm profoundly impressed that
OWASP both voted new board members and that existing members will
stand for re-election. Let's not let that slip. The global summit
commentary regarding pushing this same behavior into chapters moved me
to action as well.

To this end, I'm working to set up a program committee and a chapter
board. I've asked chapter membership to suggest a term to my chapter
leadership and I intend to stand for non-Karzai-style re-election as
well.

There's a lot of work to do though, as a community guys/gals. I hit
Gary McGraw and Dan Cornell up for some quick numbers and then started
doing some simple math.

If you look at it, the voting population was roughly only 52% of the
AppSec DC attendance. The voting population represented less than 17%
of the BSIMM study's respondents and their satellite security
resources. Pathetic. I'm going to attempt to correlate what the
overlap between BSIMM respondents and OWASP members is (low overlap
indicates a membership drive opportunity). these people already care
enough to have a security group and participate in the study for
chrissakes.

I'm concerned because, modulo Dinis' "[Carp] I forgot to vote" :-P,
this indicates OWASP has a long way to go before industry ... heck,
it's own membership ... sees the board as something it can influence
and that's valuable for them to spend their time thinking about /
influencing.

Joe (RBS), myself, an one-or-two others spoke about industry outreach
and I think this is a good place to start addressing that problem.

-jOHN