[Owasp-leaders] Fw: Books at lulu

Boberski, Michael [USA] boberski_michael at bah.com
Wed Nov 18 20:51:28 EST 2009

My $0.02,

A translation of a release document should be a release. Of a beta a beta. An alpha an alpha. This kind of thing is an impediment to promoting adoption to the maximum extent possible. A missed word or phrase in a translation of a document identified as release can be fixed in a subsequent edition w/o damaging the OWASP brand or the overall technical content of the document.

I would go so far as to publish Google/automated translated versions of documents, anticipating making fixes in subseqent editions. Let's put 12 different versions of all the different docs out there, and let's do it yesterday. We should be so lucky that people read them carefully enough to catch corrections in order to make it useful to people in their organization. The different docs aren't even in the game if someone in a new setting can't even get a sense of how one of our tools could potentially be of use.

Related (of equal importance in my mind), tool documentation should correspond to the release of the tool. A release toolkit should have either an UNRATED install guide, or one that is release. Tools also need to be required to produce a minimum of documentation, including install guide, release notes, admin guide, and a user or programming guide depending on what the tool is (tool vs. API).

Best,

Mike B.