[Owasp-leaders] RFC: Assessment Criteria v2 in pictures

Pravir Chandra chandra at owasp.org
Tue Nov 3 16:26:49 EST 2009

I definitely like the idea since it's a lot more well-defined than what we
had originally thought of as "activities & research". I see the clear
distinction as being a project that cross-cuts all other projects vs. a
project that is actually a meta-collection of other projects based on a
specific topic.

For the first group, I like the name "Infrastructure Project" since that
would contain all the language projects as well as things like the Book
Cover project. Criteria for rating such a project could be kept in sync with
the projects that are cross-cut. For instance, the Spanish Language project
would be at level 2 if there was a translation for all the level 2 projects.
Nice and simple.

For the second group, I propose the name "Project Family" and I also propose
that we don't rate them at all. Let's make it easy for Project Families to
pop up so that way, we have some "folksonomy" structure, i.e. 'tagging',
that occurs above the project level so that we can being to group and play
with the large number of projects out there. Trying to rate such projects
would be difficult and error-prone and discourage people from making such
logical relationships. Beyond the obvious examples of an "OWASP Guides
Family" or an "ESAPI Family", we could even make some like a "CISO Family"
or "Architect Family" to start improving project usability off the bat.

What do you guys think?

p.