[Owasp-leaders] Ties to Google? Support OWASP's MentoringEffort!

Jason Li jason.li at owasp.org
Wed Mar 18 23:59:04 EDT 2009

Michael,

I may have chosen my words poorly when I said we were "rejected".

Google's Summer of Code program donates funds and resources to open
source projects and there is a finite amount to the funds that Google
can give out. We didn't offer to help Google but rather applied to be
an organization to receive funds and support from Google for select
OWASP projects. So the fact that they did not accept our application
to be part of their Summer of Code program should not be seen in any
way as they didn't want our "help". In that sense, we as OWASP were
actually the party seeking help.

To answer Rex's question, many other solid open source organizations
are not accepted into the Google Summer of Code program each year for
any variety of reasons. All we received was a generic form letter
informing us that we were not accepted into the program. I don't know
anything more than that, but my suspicion is that given that we have
our own Season of Code to support and fund OWASP projects, Google felt
that their resources were best placed in other open source projects
that do not have access to the same resources as we do.

--
-Jason Li-
-jason.li at owasp.org-