[Owasp-leaders] Proposed site for the Spring 2010 OWASP Global Summit

dinis cruz dinis.cruz at owasp.org
Thu Mar 12 02:09:24 EDT 2009

Here is some details about the decision process (and requirements) about the
next Summit on an email I wrote last month to the board and Global projects
committee (please also take a look at the idea of hosting mini-Summits at
our major conferences since this is a great idea to get things done and
allows for further preparation for the main Summit (note that in principle
we are going to host the first one of these sessions at the next EU OWASP
AppSec conference)):
<Start of email copy & paste>

Hi, We just finished the GPnT call and here are the main points related to
the Summit:

   - January is a good time since :
      - it gives some more time for the projects to complete (SoC 10
      deadline is the US conference, so it will be Nov 09)
      - it is a slow month, so it should be easier for people to attend
      - it allow us to set the Agenda for 2010 at the Summit, and maybe even
      release a couple of Key projects there (OWASP Top 10 2010?)

      - Regarding the location, the proposed location is the same as last
   year (St.Eulalia, Algarve, Portugal), since
   - We have all logistical issues sorted out (Travel, Hotel, Food,
      Conference facilities, Cost per person, etc...)
      - It fits our budget (2000 USD per head for ALL expenses)
      - Paulo and me (Dinis) will take responsibility for it
      - Allows us to build on the media/university relationships we created
      last year and aim to have much bigger local, European and
WorldWide coverage
      - Given the importance of the Summit, we can't afford for any major
      logistical problems, so any proposal for hosting it elsewhere needs to:
         - Have the personal backing and involvement of a Board Member (and
         the Projects and Tools Committee since the Summit is in partly
         'owned' by that Committee)
         - Be made by an organization team with proven track record in
         organizing OWASP Conferences
         - Contain detailed analysis of :
            - Summit Costs (so that the average conference attendee cost is
            2000 USD)
            - Travel plans for the multiple geographical locations that the
            participants will travel from (note that the plan for the next
            Summit in Portugal is to only have flights to Lisbon and have
            the travel agency arrange for them to get to the venue by
Car/Bus/Train. We
            are also going to be able to book the flights much earlier
so we should be
            able to get good flights.This time around the priority
will be to minimize
            the travel time of the participants)
            - Confirmation that most (possible) attendees can travel to that
            location

            - Note that I have no problem in hosting a Summit in Brazil (I'm
         the first one to want to go there :) ), BUT, remember that
most of those
         dots were placed 'only a couple guys', and that whoever wants
to host it
         there must come up with the detailed analysis I mentioned
above. So If there
         is serious motivation to do it there, then let them present
their plans at
         the next summit.

         - One interesting idea that was discussed was *to host 1 or 2 days
   of meetings at the next OWASP US conference (and maybe even the next one in
   EU)*. In the US, we could use this time to have: a) Presentations about
   the completed SoC 10 projects, b) Committee's meetings and c) several
   Working Sessions on relevant topics (remember that the OWASP US/EU
   conferences are usually atended by very well respected AppSec people)
      - These meetings would have the same format as the Summit, and could
      occur on the Training days.
      - As a practical example of the value of these sessions, since most
      Summit participants will also be at this conference, we should spend a
      couple hours with them to prepare the Summit work scheadule/agenda
      (since now we know we CAN work at OWASP Summits, we need to make sure we
      maximize our productivity while we are together during that week)

Dinis Cruz
<End of email copy & paste>