[Owasp-leaders] FW: REQUESTFOR DECISION/CALL FOR CONTRIBUTIONS TO UPDATE THE ASSESSMENTCRITERIA

Matt Tesauro mtesauro at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 23:55:54 EDT 2009

You raise a situation I'd not considered - primarily because the
situation you describe is not what the "downgrade to Alpha" idea was
created to handle.  At least that's not my understanding.

The discussion of downgrading to Alpha grew out of the committee trying
to figure out how to handle non-responsive project leads and/or dead
projects which had never been assessed.  In the case that:
* a project lead does not respond to queries
* the mail list has prolonged inactivity
* the project pre-dates the assessment criteria
* and a project appears to be otherwise be dead or no longer relevant
Then moving them to Alpha seemed like an appropriate response.  Alpha is
a very open space for projects and good for holding projects of unknown
status in the near term.

Considering the idea of appending a version to the ratings (props to
Mike), I can't see a reason to _ever_ downgrade a project in your
situation.  Obviously you'll respond to queries so I can't image your
project being called dead.  And as you stated below, if a project lead
sees value in going from beta criteria v1.0 to beta criteria 2.0, they
are free to make that choice and do the work.

To me, the idea of was to keep the project page from suffering from the
  "sourceforge" effect where projects get created, possibly releases
some early code and then go stagnant.  Going forward, I suspect that
we'll have to figure out how to determine that a project should be
archived and/or deprecated.  I'm not in favor of removing projects -
just making the in-active, no longer relevant ones less prominent.  My
example has been a PHP 3 secure coding guide.  Might be a decent basis
for an update to PHP 5 but I pity the person coding in PHP 3.

As to your and Buanzo's projects (and likely others) not neatly fitting
into the Tool or Document bucket, its obvious from the feedback we've
gotten that this situation will need to be considered.  Pravir has
posted a sound idea for this and I suspect this will be discussed in
tomorrow's committee meeting.

Much like Buanzo's, your project may not easily be categorized but that
doesn't diminish its value.  It simply means that we need to better
figure out how to handle those that are not clearly tools or documents
- which is fantastic because that is why we asked for feedback.

-- Matt Tesauro
OWASP Live CD Project Lead
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_Live_CD_2008_Project
http://mtesauro.com/livecd/ - Documentation Wiki