[Owasp-leaders] FW: REQUESTFOR DECISION/CALL FOR CONTRIBUTIONS TO UPDATE THE ASSESSMENTCRITERIA

Stephen Craig Evans stephencraig.evans at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 01:41:29 EST 2009

Hi,

>From Paulo's original email:
"I would like to inform you that the Project’s Committee propose that,
as soon as we finish this discussion, we establish as a rule to apply
to all OWASP Projects that the quality categorization must respect the
revised assessment criteria which eventually will mean that all
projects not assessed under these rules will be placed under Alpha
Quality status."

I do not agree with this and I pretty much agree with what Mike has
suggested with the following modification:

The existing Assessment Criteria is version 1.0. The new one under
current discussion could be version 2.0.

As Mike suggested, the main project page should prominently display
Quality Level with Assessment Criteria version number (and hotlinks to
the definitions of those 2).

For example, my SoC 2008 project, Securing WebGoat using ModSecurity,
automatically gets the designation Tools Project with rating Beta
Quality, Assessment Criteria version 1.0.

If it does not meet the new standards and I want to meet them, then
I'll do the necessary work and then it will be given a rating of Beta
Quality, Assessment Criteria version 2.0.

Doing it this way:
- We avoid all of the hassle of going back and re-assessing projects
previous to version 2.0
- We don't lessen the value of version 1.0 projects - an insult the
project owneres - by degrading them to Alpha Quality
- We give project owners the option and opportunity to upgrade their
version 1.0 projects to version 2.0
- We have a flexible process that allows for future Assessment Criteria versions

@Buanzo:

Hey Roomie!

To address your and Matt's comments:
"
> With all this, I basicly want to say that mine (and other projects, too) are not necessarily 'tools'
> per se, and maybe there is need to assess this situation more throughly. I call for help in this
> matter, or for someone to hit me in the face with a 'hey, you got it wrong, Buanzo! this is the
> deal' explanation :P
This time no smacking is needed.  I would agree that your project
isn't really a tool nor is it a document.  Its a specification with a
reference implementation.  How that fits the assessment criteria, I
honestly don't know but it is something we will have to account for
going forward.
"

Yes, your project is in a gray area betwen Tools and Documentation. I
consider my project mainly as a research project since it evolved into
using Lua scripts in ModSecurity, which really hasn't been done
before. I provide ModSecurity rulesets and complete fully functional
Lua scripts, plus I rebuilt the Lua standalone executable and shared
object libraries from source to include extra functionality. It's not
a Tools project but not a Documentation project, but it's fairly clear
that it is not a Tools project so it falls under Documentation.

If your project is a reference implementation, then IMHO it falls more
under Documentation category. Yes, "Documentation", meaning non-Tools,
might not be the best name and that could be changed; however, I can't
think of a name better than "Non-Tools" off the top of my head.

So, under my proposed modification at the beginning of this email,
your project could either be Beta Tools Quality, Assessment Criteria
version 1.0 -or- Beta Documentation Quality, Assessment Criteria
version 2.0.

Your Season of Quality suggestions still hold; in my case, I could do
the same and offer a VMWare image with Ubuntu, WebGoat, ModSecurity,
and include my re-built Lua version (with MD5 and SQL database access
as extra features), my Lua scripts, and ModSec rulesets.

Again, your project is in a gray area. I don't think there should be
an extra category besides Tools and Documentation (even though
"Documentation" could be renamed) - it will just introduce more room
for confusion. But, you can always choose what category you want for
your project based on the criteria.

Cheers,
Stephen

--