[Owasp-leaders] IBM/Rational Static Analysis

Brian Bertacini brian at appsecconsulting.com
Fri Mar 6 12:19:24 EST 2009

James,

I looked at the IBM Rational AppScan Developer Edition a couple of months
ago.  For the record, we currently use Fortify and Ounce for static
analysis.  In my opinion, AppScan DE is not ready for prime time.especially
in an enterprise environment.  On the other hand, I am very excited about
their vision and the ability to correlate runtime and static analysis.   I'm
sure their solution will improve with time.  It's also worth noting the
solution only support Java at the present time.  I will be keeping a close
eye on their developments over time.  I know some folks at Cenzic, I believe
they are looking to integrate static analysis into the Hailstorm solution
too.  In my opinion, it is valuable to combine runtime and static analysis
to get a more comprehensive risk profile.

My $.02,

Brian

Brian Bertacini, CISA, PCI-QSA
AppSec Consulting, Inc.