[Owasp-leaders] OWASP Mailing Lists

Kevin Reiter kevin.reiter at owasp.org
Thu Mar 5 14:00:56 EST 2009

I disagree about this for a few reasons (and feel free to disagree with me
on this :)

- Forums can be difficult to access/navigate from mobile devices.
- Forum software requires constant maintenance (patches, version upgrades,
spambot registration preening, etc.) to maintain security for both the forum
application as well as the machine it resides on.
- Forums typically do not let members know when there are new posts - only
if you're already subscribed to an existing topic.  If you don't login and
check, you're not made aware of any important announcements.
- Forums are higher targets for automated "sploit bots".

Now, that's not to say that in addition to the mailing lists there couldn't
(or shouldn't) be an official OWASP Forum.  I'm just pointing out that
replacing the mailing lists with a forum might not be the best idea.

Also, I'm curious to know how you mean, "mailing lists don't scale well."
In what way?  How are they deficient?  How don't they "scale well"?  I'm not
being carcastic, just curious by what you mean as it pertains to the OWASP
lists.

~Kevin

--
Kevin Reiter