[Owasp-leaders] PCI, more ego than brains...

Kåre Presttun kaare at mnemonic.no
Mon Mar 2 17:44:42 EST 2009

PCI DSS is not meant to be a one time effort but a continuous process.
It's not only 6.5 that is relevant for OWASP, it is the whole of
Requirement 6 plus most of Requirement 11. Other parts are relevant
as well.

PCI DSS is a process to try to obtain a balanced implementation of
security based on lessons learned from forensics of real incidents.

I'm sure that PCI DSS will increase security since it will increase
awareness. It puts forwards some important messages that finally will
make it's way in. However, you can not make the requirements so that
you get the whole user community against you. Then you will never win.
Just look at how the web stuff gradually slided in and how WEP slowly
slided out. This is a deliberate slow move in order not to piss off
people. It's not perfect, it's a practical move and they have a lot
of other concerns than just web.

Read the whole standard, read the testing procedures, and think over
it again. We have communication between the groups. Dave was at the
community meeting in Toronto in the fall 2007 and Troy Leach was
at the Portugal meeting last fall. We are talking.

Kind regards, Kåre