[Owasp-leaders] PCI, more ego than brains...

Rex Booth rex.booth at owasp.org
Mon Mar 2 15:59:20 EST 2009

Like Mark said, I don't think absolute assurance is the point of PCI or
any other control framework.  Although there's clearly room for
improvement (and as Eoin says, that starts primarily with developers),
PCI takes some substantial steps in the right direction:

*5.2 Develop all web payment applications (internal and external, and
including web administrative access to product) based on secure coding
guidelines such as the Open Web Application Security Project Guide.
Cover prevention of common coding vulnerabilities in software
development processes, to include: PCI Data Security Standard
Requirement 6.5*

I don't think a public, unsolicited attack on PCI is the route OWASP
should take.  They're a big ally of ours right now and their reference
to us grants us a lot of legitimacy in the eyes of many C-level folks.
The last thing we want to do at this point is potentially alienate
them.  If we want to work with them, I suggest reaching out privately.