[Owasp-leaders] Listing commercial products in OWASP projects

Dave Wichers dave.wichers at owasp.org
Wed Jan 21 17:38:32 EST 2009

There is precedent for OWASP mentioning commercial tools as I have done so
here:

http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Source_Code_Analysis_Tools

and here: http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Web_Application_Firewall

For what it's worth, I think it's OK to mention such tools if you include
the appropriate disclaimer, as helping to make people aware of options that
are available to them is a reasonable goal.

Or maybe, for your purposes, you could just refer to these pages, but we
don't have a page for application penetration testing tools I don't think.

-Dave

From: Dave van Stein <dvstein at gmail.com>

Date: January 18, 2009 1:44:40 PM GMT+01:00

To: Pavol Luptak <pavol.luptak at nethemba.com>

Cc: owasp-testing at lists.owasp.org

Subject: Re: [Owasp-testing] Just few typing errors

I just want to know if this activity is OWASP-compliant - can be classified
as endorsement of commercial products or not (this is purely legal, not
technical question). See http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Main_Page, the
second
top line: "OWASP does not endorse commercial products or services"

The line between endorsing and just mentioning is rather thin in my opinion.
In order to be as unbiased as possible regarding commercial (or non
open-source for that matter) tools the list should be 100% complete. If even
1 tool is available and not mentioned in the list, that could be explained
as "not worth mentioning according to OWASP". Since managing such a list is
close to impossible in my opinion due to the amount of tools appearing and
disappearing every day, it is very risky to include it.

Personally I think it would be a better idea to create a seperate list
(perhaps even a seperate project) with a good disclaimer and mention a link
to that list in the testing guide as a (limited) source of information. The
main goal of the OWASP testing guide is understanding vulnerabilities and
understanding how to test them, not about automating those tests. Therefor
the independancy of the testing guide should be more important than
providing a complete list with automation tools.

regards, Dave