[Owasp-leaders] CWE/SANS Top 25 Most Dangerous ProgrammingErrors

Stephen Craig Evans stephencraig.evans at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 07:21:03 EST 2009

Hi Marcin,

I just read about 15 articles reporting about the SANS 25 list in IT and
security e-publications. I share your frustration with the total absence of
mentioning the OWASP Top Ten.

My comments:

- Almost all mention Microsoft, Symantec, and DHS as the first 3
contributors, insinuating that they are the primary contributors. My take is
that it doesn't say "content contributors"; it could either be one of these
3 or a combo of all:
1. the 3 were financial contributors;
2. the 3 have good PR departments;
3. the author thought that their article would have the maximum effect if
these 3 entities were mentioned in the first paragraph.

- There's still a huge divide between IT security and software security. I
read comments from 3 so-called IT security experts, and it is obvious that
they know pretty much nothing about application security. In the same vein,
perusing the local OWASP chapters' mailing lists around the globe, I see
lots of presentations and topics of meetings that are IT Security and have
nothing to do with Web Application Security.

- If one has chosen software security as a profession, it's a sure bet for
years to come :-)

As for the value of the SANS 25 list, we will have to let the paint dry and
figure out how much it is worth. For example, for my clients the OWASP Top
10 2004 list is more relevant than the 2007 list.

Stephen