[Owasp-leaders] Does OWASP need a manifesto?

Rex Booth rex.booth at owasp.org
Thu Jan 8 10:14:53 EST 2009

(disclaimer - this is a US Federal-centric reply)

True, but I highly doubt you'll ever see a contract specifically require
OWASP-based assessments.  I've responded to dozens of contracts over the
past few years, and even those who very obviously require an 800-53
approach (or something similar) hardly ever specify as such.  There are
simply too many degrees of separation between the knowledgeable
technical resource and the person writing the contract.  The best-case
scenario (in my opinion) is one in which a regulation or NIST points to
OWASP standards and you receive an RFP asking for help fulfilling the
requirements of that regulation.

The onus is on us as service providers to be aware of industry best
practices (like OWASP) and to creatively work them into the solutions we
provide our clients.  IMO, doing so is perhaps as important as any other
promotion activity OWASP undertakes.  Not only do we have the
opportunity to raise awareness of the OWASP brand and "products", but we
also have the opportunity to demonstrate them in action - the latter
goes a long way in developing support for OWASP among those whom we seek
to be regulated by it.

Rex