[Owasp-leaders] OWASP (free) sponsorship of The IT Summitin Austin, TX

blake blake at owasp.org
Wed Jan 7 13:36:03 EST 2009

I presented at ICCS 2009 yesterday regarding OWASP and the organizations
"free" offerings.  One of the coordinators offered OWASP a free booth for
one of the three days ( $3000 for all three days ).  Unfortunately, we had
to turn down this offer because we have no hand outs, books, chotchkeys,
banners, etc.  I hope, at least, the NY/NJ chapter can invest in said
materials in the event that OWASP receives future offers like this.

Meeting and speaking with people whom would otherwise not attend OWASP
events is very important.  Having a booth at a conference makes this easier.

-Blake

To: owasp-leaders at lists.owasp.org
Austin, TX

James, I agree with you.  FWIW, I think the policy should be that OWASP will
consider sponsoIrship/endorsement of other not-for-profit organizations that
run conferences, but should stay far away from for-profit organizations that
create and run conferences, unless there's active involvement by OWASP.
There are a zillion of these "we organize a conference on any topic" groups,
and being associated with them diminishes the brand value of OWASP as a
neutral technology and evangelism organization.

--Jeremy

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 4:28 PM, McGovern, James F (HTSC, IT)
<James.McGovern at thehartford.com> wrote:
> My take on this is that sponsorship is a stealth word for endorsement
> and we should say no in terms of using the logo, etc. I can't see any
> objection to other groups wanting to place links to OWASP on their web
> site.

addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential and/or privileged
information.  If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying,
disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited.  If you
are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by
return e-mail, delete this communication and destroy all copies.