[Owasp-leaders] Facebook

Mike Boberski mike.boberski at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 18:45:05 EST 2009

Since you ask...

This is a frustration to me, as a case study for lack of better way to put
it, seeing which OWASP materials are being referenced and how. Certain
messages aren't getting out in my mind, reading over that wiki page.

The Top 10 is a data sheet, it is not a baseline set of security
requirements, nor is it a standard to implement something to comply with.
The cheat sheets are guidance for overcoming very specific atomic items.
Pointing someone to the development guide w/o saying which sections are
relevant is like telling someone to read an encyclopedia A-Z. What security
activities are being done during their SDLC? Etc.....

First, I think Facebook needs to be straightened out a little bit in this
regard. ASVS exists now, so people need to start using it, where they had
previously been using the Top 10 in an inappropriate way. Second, I propose
exploring whether or not what Facebook really needs/asking for is an ESAPI.

Mike