[Owasp-leaders] Hungary mandates open standards

Gergely Trifonov trifonov at websec.hu
Tue Dec 22 07:26:39 EST 2009

Hi list,

It is true that there has not been much activity here this year, mainly due
to the lack of (human) resources. This year was spent building connections:
we've been searching for co-operation opportunities and showed up at smaller
conferences. I do hope that this will change in 2010, because we have lots
of plans and there's a lot to do here in Hungary.

To answer your original question: we do not actually have much insight into
this mandate, and, interestingly, it does not seem to get much publicity
here except for a few blog posts and articles on IT portals. Indeed, things
are quite complicated here (umm, "screwed up" is closer to the truth) - I
won't go into details if you don't mind because it would be very long and it
would definitely not lead us anywhere :-) Things *might* change after the
2010 elections but I'm pessimistic.

However, there have been some attempts recently in the form of not too
strict, general IT security regulations, directives and guidelines (mainly
fitted for financial institutions), but I do not know about web application
security specific stuff.

We started discussions with the MSZT (Hungarian Standards Institute) about
co-operation possibilities and we hope that we could also get involved in
educational activity at the University of Miskolc and we have contacts at
other Hungarian universities as well. I consider these as good starting
points, but my personal opinion is that any government-related activities
should be restrained until the 2010 elections.

Cheers,
Gergely