[Owasp-leaders] Reusing Presentation

Mark Bristow mark.bristow at owasp.org
Tue Dec 8 12:35:54 EST 2009

Leaders,

I know that in the case of AppSec DC several presenters raised an issue with
producing source presentation materials.  On some occasions presenters that
were not directly in the "security industry" had their corporate council
raise concerns over IP and trademark issues.  These are organizations whom
we should be reaching out to to help share information about WebAppSec not
discouraging participation by forcing their legal teams to remove their
presentations over such an issue.

Also, some presenters were using copyrighted material in their presentations
(such as graphics) that they were licensed to use but not licensed to
re-distribute.  This occurs more frequently then you might think.  As I
stated before, I asked each presenter if they would allow the power point
versions be posted publicly in concurrence with the speaker agreement and
the expectations that were set with the speakers for the conference, those
presentations have been posted.

I think that this issue needs to be re-visited and all pros and cons
carefully considered before we establish any sort of "policy" on the matter.
I'll be sure to raise this issue at the next GCC meeting.

Thanks,
-Mark