[Owasp-leaders] Reusing Presentation

Ofer Maor ofer.maor at owasp.org
Tue Dec 8 06:14:28 EST 2009

I guess I see this differently, and also was under the impression this was
different.

Presentations, in many conferences, no longer remain the sole IP of the
presenter. The conference organizers have the right to redistribute it and
do a lot of things with it. Moreover, many conferences (including commercial
ones such as RSA) require presenters to do the presentation in the
conferences' template.

As I understood from the past regarding OWASP (I'm quite positive that this
was pointed out to be in AppSec 07 as well as in AppSec Israel, although my
memory may be betraying me) - this was also the case with OWASP. i.e. -
presentations in OWASP Templates, and speaker agrees for presentation
reusage under the general OWASP terms.

I think it is important to allow it - especially with our current model of
chapters. Not every chapter can produce sufficient home grown materials, and
reusing presentations from other conferences (with credit provided of
course), is something I believe to be quite important to the nature of
OWASP. I doubt most presenters will skip an opportunity to get the marketing
oriented advantage of such conferences by requiring to give their
presentation in PPT.

Just my .02 dollar :)

Ofer.