[Owasp-leaders] What is the OWASP definition of Open Source?

Stephen Craig Evans stephencraig.evans at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 12:47:17 EST 2008

Hi James,

Yes, let's get the licensing straightened out so it makes it easier
for corporations to adopt OWASP stuff - and hopefully contribute cash.
I think that action item is on the list from Portugal.

As to the rest of your points, I am catching the drift that you think
that OWASP owes people something for contributing or at least
recognizing - in some form - their contribution. To turn the tables on
you: How do you do that? How to you quantify somebody's contribution
and acknowledge it? How is somebody's contribution valued more than
somebody else's? How do you reward that contribution? Do you pay out
cash or give brownie points? What are brownie points? How are brownie
points established? Should there be a contribution working group?
Should it be a virtual working group meeting or should it be a
physical meeting? If physical, then where should it be? Near airports
where it's cheap and boring, and/or Chicago in the winter? Or do we do
Skype with webcams?

I did my first official Summer of Code project and got paid a little
for it. I spent a lot of time away from my family and friends. I am
now working gratis on another project. I don't expect anything from
anybody. I have my personal selfish motives for doing it (to learn a
lot and, if it's good, get some recognition). I have learned that I
have to do more self-promotion for my projects - I will learn from
that experience. I feel good working within OWASP in that I think one
gets out of it what they put into it.

IMHO, OWASP is on the right course. I like Dinis's vision of having
security experts on one side, having corporations/organizations on the
other side, and OWASP being the middle man to hook up the 2 when the
corps/orgs want a service and a security specialization that fits
their needs and a project or endeavour that they don't want to afford
to do in-house on their own... Yes, us OWASP participants have
cleaning up and organization to do to be able to offer those services
to corps/orgs. Which is what I think is what is going on now and what
was the fruits of the labor of the EU Summit in Portugal.

But never for one second do I think that OWASP owes me anything. With
OWASP, to quote the Geto Boys, actions speak louder than words.

Cheers,
Stephen