[Owasp-leaders] What is the OWASP definition of Open Source?

McGovern, James F (HTSC, IT) James.McGovern at thehartford.com
Wed Nov 19 09:44:40 EST 2008

 Several thoughts:

1. I am of the belief that chapter leaders do their part to help OWASP
grow and that any contribution they make is icing on the cake. If I
added up the amount of hours I spend on chapter related activities and
placed a value of $100 against it, the return on bagging fries at
McDonalds after work would be higher. So, if contributions aren't at
100%, then maybe a discussion of affordability (I predict folks in Asia
would have trouble) or just value proposition would be in order.

2. The spirit of open source says that a person can contribute in a
variety of ways whether via financial or time, we should acknowledge
them equally as time is money. I think this aspect of PR is somewhat
neglected.

3. The model of open source says that folks should be able to try
software to see if it provides value to them. If it does provide value
then they would be more willing to reach into their wallets and
corporations have pretty big ones. But all this goes to waste if
something as simple to resolve as licensing becomes an impediment. Our
value proposition isn't to just those who are members, but those who
would make great future members as well.

4. We also have a duty to not just stick to Stallman'ish principles even
when they cause harm. Lots of people may spend time away from their
friends and family writing high quality valuable software. The thing
that is more important that being open (flamebait?) is in ensuring that
their time is not wasted and the thing that will keep them contributing
is in knowing that their craft is appreciated by a growing number of
folks who actually use it.