[Owasp-leaders] What is the OWASP definition of Open Source?

Calderon, Juan Carlos (GE, Corporate, consultant) juan.calderon at ge.com
Tue Nov 18 11:24:23 EST 2008

Well, actually my comment was on that sense, when I say "Do we care
about them?" I mean do we care what our corporate members have to say?.

I don't know if we can consider that they were covered by their
representatives at the Summit or if even there were any representative
of the around 50 corporate members at the Summit. IMO we all should be
taken in consideration, including leaders, individual members and
corporate members.

I think Dual license is more about peace of mind for Corporate members,
they need to have something more "solid" than open source license to
feel comfortable and distribute OWASP materials in their organizations.
Which is good because they can distribute/teach/evangelize to a
considerable amount of people at once. Remember our objective make
application security visible and if at the same time we have resources
for a Summer of Code or a Summit in beautiful Portugal to speak about
security, that's even better.

Be honest, how many of you have paid your individual membership this
year? There are 200 leaders on this list and only a total of 140
individual memberships paid for 2008 (I think that was the number
mentioned by Tom Brennan, correct me if I am wrong). In the mood of
being open we might be actually closing the doors to some visibility
channels like corporations and to OWASP to have a financial support that
proved to work.

So... We dumped our dual license... any corporate member on this list
that was affected? Are you thinking on renew your membership in 2009?

PS. If you are wondering, No I am not part of a corporate member. Also
please do not make this treat a corporate "evil/good" discussion but
rather focus on the licensing discussion.

Regards,
Juan Carlos Calderon