[Owasp-leaders] What is the OWASP definition of Open Source?

Ivan Ristic ivan.ristic at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 08:25:27 EST 2008

Well, you should consider that it is the corporates who paid for us
all to meet in Portugal. We obviously don't want to sell out, but we
need funding in order to support our cause. Even if we didn't, I don't
think taking a hard stance would be productive. A few other thoughts:

- An average technical person has no clue about licensing, open source
or not. Even many of those who support open source and contribute (and
have their own open source projects) know little of the licences they
are using.

- Licensing matters are not for technical people to decide on. That's
lawyers' job. So, lawyers _are_ our target users.

- Lawyers are generally right to be suspicious of open source.
Firstly, most licences are terribly ambiguous. Secondly, for most open
source projects (OWASP included), it is impossible to determine who
contributed what, and whether they had the right to contribute in the
first place. I've raised this issue once before, but we need to clean
up our act when it comes to licensing. Not only we need to be aware of
the licences we are using, but we need to have a process in place to
make sure that we don't have tainted code in our repositories.

--
Ivan Ristic