[Owasp-leaders] What is the OWASP definition of Open Source?

Mike Boberski mike.boberski at cox.net
Sat Nov 15 10:45:16 EST 2008

FYI, James has a valid point and his anecdotal evidence is not atypical.
Commercial software companies are another example of a type of organization
whose staff laywers are likely to nix the use of open source in general, or
specific open source licenses they have a particular problem with, once the
use of open source is either proposed or discovered. I have run into this
situation many times during my career when working in R&D at commercial
software companies.

Best regards,

Mike

To: McGovern, James F (HTSC, IT); jeff.williams at owasp.org
Cc: owasp-leaders at lists.owasp.org

Lawyers also aren't the ones using OWASP products.  I have faith that those
who do use them are competent enough to provide the relevant information to
their legal oversight.

That said, the newly formed Web Site committee may want to take this as an
action item...

Rex Booth, CISSP, PMP
Manager
Global Public Sector
Grant Thornton LLP

The people in the independent firms of Grant Thornton International Ltd
provide personalized attention and the highest quality service to public and
private clients in more than 100 countries. Grant Thornton LLP is the U.S.
member firm of Grant Thornton International Ltd, one of the six global
audit, tax and advisory organizations. Grant Thornton International Ltd and
its member firms are not a worldwide partnership, as each member firm is a
separate and distinct legal entity.
In the U.S., visit Grant Thornton LLP at http://www.grantthornton.com/.
addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential and/or privileged
information.  If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying,
disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited.  If you
are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by
return e-mail, delete this communication and destroy all copies.