[Owasp-leaders] OWASP vulnerability taxonomy - does it exist or not?

Jeff Williams jeff.williams at owasp.org
Mon Dec 15 17:35:55 EST 2008

The idea behind the honeycomb project and later the ASDR is that there is no
strict taxonomy that will suit all needs for organizing vulnerabilities.
There are several reasons that you can't fit all these things into a
taxonomy:
 - Vulnerabilities chain together (no canonicalization -> blacklist input
validation -> no output encoding -> injection)
 - Vulnerabilities are at different levels (lack of input validation vs.
null-byte injection)
 - Vulnerabilities overlap (CSRF authentication or authorization)
 - The same vulnerability can have wildly different threats and impacts
associated with it
 - there are more...

In the most recent incarnations of the ASDR and the 3 Guides, we're taking a
more positive approach, organizing around security controls.  I recommend
working with Leo to match the structure that he's come up with for the ASDR.

--Jeff