[Owasp-leaders] 60/40 Membership Drive @ OWASP

Calderon, Juan Carlos (GE, Corporate, consultant) juan.calderon at ge.com
Tue Dec 9 14:06:54 EST 2008

So true,

Just to put that in perspective, in Mexico salaries are about 3 to 4
times less than in US (at IT industry other are yet smaller), so paying
100 for an individual membership is like actually paying 300 or 400 to
us, not to speak about companies paying 8000, as that use to be small
and medium on average.

I know memberships from "smaller" countries would "pay" less to OWASP
(as we could do less). But will "pay" more than not having them as
additional. And at the same time we make them feel included and proud of
be part of this big organization. I heard 1 satisfied customer brings 7
more, so one proud member might bring us 7 more to the community to
increase awareness on the industry.

Regards,
Juan Carlos Calderon

________________________________

From: owasp-leaders-bounces at lists.owasp.org
[mailto:owasp-leaders-bounces at lists.owasp.org] On Behalf Of Leonardo
Cavallari Militelli
Sent: Martes, 09 de Diciembre de 2008 10:31 a.m.
To: edm.dnj at gmail.com
Cc: Owasp-Leaders at Lists.Owasp
Subject: Re: [Owasp-leaders] 60/40 Membership Drive @ OWASP

In addition to James', I have to say this is an issue for South America,
Asian, India and other not so valuable currencies countries.

Maybe we should set up a membership with a general price for OWASP,
let's say $25, and then each country or chapter could set up a price.
This is how ISSA does. It has a $95 price for 1-year membership and then
each chapter set up their own "price". Brasil charges $5 while other
places, like Switzerland charges $80.

By addopting a model similar to that, each chapter could have its own
benefits according to local events.

Leo Cavallari

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 2:03 PM, edm.dnj <edm.dnj at gmail.com> wrote:

	I'm relatively new here but thought I'd jump into the
discussion.  While we may be calling it "Membership", we're really
pursuing "Sponsorship" or simply a source of funding our projects.  I'm
no expert, but based upon what I've seen with other non-profits, this
use of "Membership" is a mechanism to solidify an ongoing stream of
contributions or sponsorship.  If somebody is a member of something,
they are more likely to contribute funds when their "Membership" expires
(perception impacts giving patterns).  I completely agree with Jeff that
it is very similar to the public radio model which also uses membership
as a mechanism to drive sponsorship based fund-raising.  Leveraging the
public radio model, here are some potential benefits that we could offer
members:

	Level 1 Membership

	*	Membership card (kinda cheesy, but some people like this
sort of thing)

	*	Member newsletter (spoon feeding members with
information that is probably already available on the website)
	*	Special member notifications of new projects, events,
releases, etc.

	*	Discounts to OWASP events
	*	Listing in on-line membership directory (opt-in)

	Level 2 Membership

	*	All Level 1 benefits
	*	Special Member Gift (logo mug, t-shirt, etc.)
	*	Single prominent (main page) on-line recognition of gift
on OWASP site.

	*	Invitation to special Member-Only Events (Jeff or some
other OWASP celeb to give special dog & pony show)

	Level 3 Membership

	*	All Level 1 and Level 2 benefits.
	*	Additional Member Gifts (more mugs, t-shirts, etc.)
	*	Mail CD/DVD version of selected released projects (like
Live CD, etc.) to member (this will make some people feel special)

	*	Free admission to Level 2 special Member-Only Events

	*	Special Events for Level 3 Members only
	*	Permit use of a special OWASP Sponsor Logo on member's
website.

	*	Rotating prominent (main page) on-line recognition of
gift on OWASP site.

	So, there are lots of possibilities and there could be as many
or as few membership levels as desired.  Another thing to think about is
asking existing sponsors to do matching donations for new members.  This
is a very useful tactic to expand the base of members.  As the base of
members grows, the members become an easier target of direct marketing
in future fund raising efforts.  For corporate members, the use of
"challenges" can also help...this works by marketing directly to an
existing member's competitors and appealing to their desire not to be
overshadowed by their competition.

	All that said, we need to make sure that we don't go overboard
in raising funds.  We need to remember what our mission is and not be
distracted by the chase for funds.  In the end, we're a non-profit
organization that exists to contribute to the greater good of the
community, but we do need money to effectively meet our mission.  We
also need to ensure that these members (regardless of sponsorship level)
should not have any undue influence over our direction, mission, etc.

	Okay, that's all I can think of right now.

	Regards,
	Dirk