[Owasp-leaders] 60/40 Membership Drive @ OWASP

Booth, Rex Rex.Booth at GT.com
Tue Dec 9 12:03:13 EST 2008

I think that the existing model works fine in general, but it does limit our potential contributor population.  Many people aren't going to fork over $100 simply because they believe in a cause.  If we're going to retain the "public radio" model (a reference that may be lost on our non-US friends), then I think we need to adopt something akin to what Dirk has suggested: a tiered membership with corresponding benefits.

These benefits don't have to be something inaccessible to others - I like the idea of a mailed and branded copy of the Live CD or of various other resources.

My biggest concern is that $100 is a bit steep for many people without either 1) corporate sponsorship or 2) an incentive to join.  I recommend lowering the price to $50 for 6 months and seeing if we get an increase in membership.

Rex Booth, CISSP, PMP
Manager
Global Public Sector
Grant Thornton LLP

[cid:image824b6f.gif at 560385d4.3721442c]
The people in the independent firms of Grant Thornton International Ltd provide personalized attention and the highest quality service to public and private clients in more than 100 countries. Grant Thornton LLP is the U.S. member firm of Grant Thornton International Ltd, one of the six global audit, tax and advisory organizations. Grant Thornton International Ltd and its member firms are not a worldwide partnership, as each member firm is a separate and distinct legal entity.
In the U.S., visit Grant Thornton LLP at www.GrantThornton.com<http://www.grantthornton.com/>.
________________________________

From: owasp-leaders-bounces at lists.owasp.org [mailto:owasp-leaders-bounces at lists.owasp.org] On Behalf Of edm.dnj
Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 11:03 AM
To: Owasp-Leaders at Lists.Owasp
Subject: Re: [Owasp-leaders] 60/40 Membership Drive @ OWASP

I'm relatively new here but thought I'd jump into the discussion.  While we may be calling it "Membership", we're really pursuing "Sponsorship" or simply a source of funding our projects.  I'm no expert, but based upon what I've seen with other non-profits, this use of "Membership" is a mechanism to solidify an ongoing stream of contributions or sponsorship.  If somebody is a member of something, they are more likely to contribute funds when their "Membership" expires (perception impacts giving patterns).  I completely agree with Jeff that it is very similar to the public radio model which also uses membership as a mechanism to drive sponsorship based fund-raising.  Leveraging the public radio model, here are some potential benefits that we could offer members:

Level 1 Membership

 *   Membership card (kinda cheesy, but some people like this sort of thing)
 *   Member newsletter (spoon feeding members with information that is probably already available on the website)
 *   Special member notifications of new projects, events, releases, etc.
 *   Discounts to OWASP events
 *   Listing in on-line membership directory (opt-in)
Level 2 Membership

 *   All Level 1 benefits
 *   Special Member Gift (logo mug, t-shirt, etc.)
 *   Single prominent (main page) on-line recognition of gift on OWASP site.
 *   Invitation to special Member-Only Events (Jeff or some other OWASP celeb to give special dog & pony show)
Level 3 Membership

 *   All Level 1 and Level 2 benefits.
 *   Additional Member Gifts (more mugs, t-shirts, etc.)
 *   Mail CD/DVD version of selected released projects (like Live CD, etc.) to member (this will make some people feel special)
 *   Free admission to Level 2 special Member-Only Events
 *   Special Events for Level 3 Members only
 *   Permit use of a special OWASP Sponsor Logo on member's website.
 *   Rotating prominent (main page) on-line recognition of gift on OWASP site.
So, there are lots of possibilities and there could be as many or as few membership levels as desired.  Another thing to think about is asking existing sponsors to do matching donations for new members.  This is a very useful tactic to expand the base of members.  As the base of members grows, the members become an easier target of direct marketing in future fund raising efforts.  For corporate members, the use of "challenges" can also help...this works by marketing directly to an existing member's competitors and appealing to their desire not to be overshadowed by their competition.

All that said, we need to make sure that we don't go overboard in raising funds.  We need to remember what our mission is and not be distracted by the chase for funds.  In the end, we're a non-profit organization that exists to contribute to the greater good of the community, but we do need money to effectively meet our mission.  We also need to ensure that these members (regardless of sponsorship level) should not have any undue influence over our direction, mission, etc.

Okay, that's all I can think of right now.

Regards,
Dirk